A term which refers to the sequential characteristics of language. When we construct WORDS and SENTENCES we follow a certain order in arranging the individual items.
A term introduced by the linguist SAUSSURE which refers to the state of a language as it exists at any given time
The study of signs is termed as_________?
In its general sense it refers to the creative capacity of language users to produce an endless number of new sentences, in contrast to the communication systems of animals is called ?
__________ is term introduced by CHOMSKY to describe ‘the actual use of language in concrete situations’
The system of communication within a community.
A pair of terms introduced by Noam CHOMSKY in 1965 to describe native speakers’ intuitions about the grammatical correctness, or otherwise, of sentences.
The study of language and mind, which has greatly advanced our understanding of the way in which we acquire language is_________?
Who argues that language is a unique evolutionary development of the human species and distinguished from modes of communication used by any other animal species ?
There are ______ consonant sounds in English IPA.
Read More Section(English Literature Mcqs)
Each Section contains maximum 70 questions. To get more questions visit other sections.
- African-American Literature Mcqs - (100)
- Ages, era, period - English Literature Mcqs - (462)
- American Literature Mcqs - (335)
- Cultural & Literary 18th-19th Centuries Mcqs - (98)
- Cultural & Literary English Renaissance Mcqs - (94)
- Cultural & Literary in Modernity Mcqs - (98)
- English Romantic Poetry Mcqs - (99)
- Famous playwright, poet & others Mcqs - (937)
- Introduction to Literary Studies Mcqs - (100)
- Introduction to Literary Theory Mcqs - (22)
- Language & Linguistics Mcqs - (213)
- Literary Theory & Criticism Mcqs - (231)
- Medieval Literature & Culture Mcqs - (196)
- Miscellaneous Literature Mcqs - (323)
- Modern Poetry & Poetics Mcqs - (98)
- The Gothic Novel Mcqs - (99)